During my free time i usually like to work on something new and exciting. It’s usually the times i can learn something new.
For this new project i wanted to create devil like character. zBrush is a great tool to make concepts fast and iterate with ease. So i used it as the sculpting tool for the project.
Shaping the Head
Getting the basic shape right it is essential in zBrush.
If the basic shape is not right the mesh will not look as good, you will have to go back and forward on the different levels of detail which will effect and distort the whole thing.
The zBrush tool uses several layers of detail which we can add or remove, according to the detail we want on the model, of course the more detail we have the more polygons it adds.
One of the big lessons that i learned on this project is that for each thing we want to sculpt we must choose the layer of detail you think it’s more adequate to sculpt on.
Texture and Colour
For texture and colour I used the zBrush polypaint. Which let’s you mix colours and texture until you get to the result that you want.
As a reference for this, I used the image on the side. I started painting the whole model with a very intense red, then I used a saturated blue to define some of the hollow areas in the skull (eyes, mouth and cheeks), then I added yellow where the bones are more prominent.
After I started painting with a more realistic flesh/skin colour with some opacity to create a sense of translucency on the skin, so you should still be able to see the red, yellow and blue tones underneath.
Finally I added some final details such as signs of aging on the skin and some overall texture.
Polypaint is a great way to have a more custom skin/texture although sometimes it is a bit hard to go back and forward on the colour, it also requires a good colour perception. But this is only one of the many methods that you can use to paint texture or map a character. If you don’t like UV mapping then this is the method for you!
As for the render, unfortunately there was not much time and as it was more of a learning project I sticked to the default settings.
You can check the end result in the image below.
Thanks for reading!— if you found this useful please like, share and leave a comment below!